This simple home recipe consist of an oven roasted free range chicken cooked, with a mix potatoes, onions, garlic and tomatoes. Simple ingredients but delicious French flavors.
this is a recipe that I am personally doing very often for the weekend or just when I don’t what to bother with complicated dishes. The big advantage of that dish is that since you cook it with the vegetable it retain a lovely level of moisture and generate natural juices that blends with the potatoes to give you something really homely and delicious. It is simply comfort food at its best.
Roaster ( professional grade):
Roaster ( Standard grade)
Carving knife sets:
What you need for this recipe:
- 1 Free range or organic chicken chicken of 1.4 kilograms ( 3 pounds)
- 1 kg of potatoes suited for roasting I have used Nicola potatoes in the video.( yellow flesh waxy type) –
- 1 large onion finely sliced –
- 200 grams cherry tomatoes chopped in half –
- 6 garlic cloves
Stuffing and seasoning:
- 1 shallot (quartered)
- 4 branches (with leaves and stokes) fresh flat parsley
- 4 twigs of thyme ( for the stuffing)
- salt and pepper Seasoning: salt and pepper
- grape seed or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
Food measurement converter: https://goo.gl/cfneUc
Start by preparing all the vegetables( washing, peeling and cutting):
- Cut the potatoes in quarter and reserve them in col water
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in halves
- Finely sliced the onion
- Cut and quarter the shallot
- Part peel your garlic ( leaving the last skin on) and cutting each ends.
- wash and reserve your parsley and thyme ( just a few branched of each)
Prepare the chicken for roasting:
- Start by seasoning the chicken ( inside the carcass as well on the outside with salt and pepper)
- Stuff the chicken with 2 of the garlic cloves, the parsley, the thyme and the shallots
- Truss the chicken using a butcher string (watch the video demonstration below on how to do that) and put the chicken in a roaster.
- Pour 4 tablespoon of oil over the chicken then spread the oil on the chicken with your hands, finally add a nudge of butter between each of the chicken leg ( as shown in video)
- Drain rinse and dry you raw potatoes and add them in the roaster ( roasting pan) all around the chicken. turn the chicken on its its side.
It is now ready to be roasted.
Roasting the chicken:
To roast the chicken we will use the traditional 3 stage French method ( don’t worry it’s not that complicated) which will ensure you get a moist ands evenly cooked chicken.
the roasting process goes as follow ( watch the video for details):
- 15 minutes on one side
- 15 minutes in the other side
- Then 25 minutes on its back
- Finish roasting the chicken by turning the grill ( broiler) on for an extra 5 minutes just before serving. to get that nice crispy skin and brown color
Start by roasting the chicken (in a preheated oven) at 200 degrees celsius (396 F) ( with the potatoes and garlic) on either sider for the first 30 minutes ( 15 minutes on each side)
The only turn the chicken flat on its back and add the onions and tomatoes. mix well with the potatoes and put the chicken back in the oven for 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes turn the broiler on and brown your chicken frio a further 5 or more minutes ( up to you on how crispy you want it)
PS: in case you use a smaller or bigger chicken, the cooking time for a whole chicken is roughly 20 minutes per 500 grams of meat.so make sure you adjust the time accordingly.