Provencal tomatoes are delicious halved tomatoes filled with a mix of breadcrumbs garlic, parsley and olive oil. The provencal tomatoes are then broiled in the oven and serve as a side dish or appetizer. they pair nicely with grilled meat and fish.
These stuffed tomatoes are very popular in the south of france and you will find them a lot of time on the side of many bistro and restaurants plates. the combination of flavor between the tomatoes the garlic, parsley and olive oil is just delicious and you will be coming back for more. if you are vegetarian they will go nicely as a little platter for appetizers.
Cooking time; 7 minutes to pre cook the tomatoes and and additional 5 to 6 minutes in the oven to cook the breadcrumbs parsley and garlic mix
Ingredients needed for 4 people:
6 ripe tomatoes chopped in half
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
50 grams / 0.41 cups of quality breadcrumbs
3 to 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper for the seasoning
Mise en place ( food preparation)
- chop finely the garlic and parsley
- weigh the breadcrumbs
- Cut each tomato in half and seed them with a spoon as shown on the video.
Prepare the breadcrumbs stuffing:
- Mix all of the breadcrumbs in a preparation bowl
- add the the parsley, garlic and olive oil.
- when done mix well with a spoon to make sure you have an even mixture not to dry not to wet
Season the halved tomatoes:
- Lay all of the tomato on a tray
- season lightly with salt and pepper
when done pre cook the tomatoes:
- Warm up a frying pan on medium heat with 2 spoon of olive oil
- place all of the tomatoes face down and leave to cook gently for 6 to 7 minutes.
- after 6 to 7 minutes turn the tomatoes over and leave for another minute to cook on the other side.
- when ready take the tomatoes out of the pan and place them the baking tray or whatever dish you want to use to finish cooking the tomatoes in the oven.
Add the stuffing and finish cooking the tomatoes:
- add a teaspoon of stuffing on each halved tomatoes and if you like finish off with a drizzle of olive oil on top ( optional)
- Place the tray with the tomatoes in a preheated oven( with the top elements on ) at 180 degrees celsius / 356 F and leave to cook for a further 4 to 5 minutes until the breadcrumbs is nice and golden on top.
- when cooked serve warm as a side or appetizers
check the tutorial video here: