If you have ever been to paris or somewhere in France and had that delicious Hot Chocolate I am sure that will enjoy making that simple recipe. the hot chocolate or “chocolat chaud” in france is a great breakfast or winter warmer beverage that simply has to be made from scratch if you really want to have the real experience.
Today I am happy to share you with the parisian breakfast chocolate infuse with vanilla and cinnamon.
- half a liter of full cream milk
- 100 grams of a premium quality dark chocolate bar (minimum 70% cocoa)
- 1 or 2 pinch of sugar (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- a teaspoon of premium quality vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of pure cocoa powder (100% cocoa)
- 1 pinch of salt
Making the base
- pour the milk into a sauce pan
- add the cinnamon stick and vanilla essence to the milk
- bring the milk to the boil
- when the milk start boiling turn the heat to very low and let simmer gently for 10 minutes
- 10 minutes later discard the cinnamon stick, add the cocoa powder and stir gently using a whisk.
- when done filter that chocolate base with a sieve and transfer in a clean pan.
Making the Hot chocolate:
- put the clean pan with the chocolate base back on the stove on low heat.
- crush the chocolate bar in small pieces and add the pieces to the milk.
- stir gently with a whisk making sure all of your chocolate pieces are melted.
- As soon as all the chocolate is melted, turn the heat off and keep stirring until you get a silky consistency.
That delicious hot chocolate as is or can be topped up with whipped cream if served in a mug.
- if you want have a thicker creamier hot chocolate you can let the chocolate cook on low heat a bit longer after the chocolate pieces are melted.
- hot chocolate can be served at breakfast in a bowl with brioche toasts or just french baguette.
video demonstration below: